The existence of a large Niobium deposit near Elk Creek, Nebraska has been known for over twenty years. The fresh attention to creating the only mine for the element in the United States rises from a desire for American companies to have domestic supplies of this important component in high grade steel used in aircraft and other high-tech manufacturing.
Nebraska Niobium mine 4 to 5 years away.
Listen to this story:
May 19, 2010 - 7:00pm
- Nebraskans near Niobium find consider economic benefits of mining
- After quiet summer, mining project developers remain committed
- Niobium project developer "even more optimistic" for Nebraska mine prospects
- Elk Creek Niobium Project Moves Forward
- Elk Creek Niobium mine could be operational by late 2016