Handlebar Help In Rochester, N.Y.
R Community Bikes is a grassroots organization in Rochester that repairs and gives away bikes to people in need.
The vision and tireless work of Dan Lill has helped this group grow from a seasonal bike clinic in a soup kitchen parking lot — with two would-be bike mechanics — to a full fledged nonprofit with 50-60 active volunteer bike mechanics and a 6,000 square foot shop-and-warehouse that provides free repairs to the entire population.
Bill D'Anza is a retired mental health administrator. He volunteers for R Community Bikes and listens to WXXI.
- Nebraska Runner Escapes Injury in Boston Marathon Explosions
- Flood waters leave behind economic and disaster recovery
- TRAIN TUESDAYS: The Doodlebug: A Nebraska innovation in passenger rail transportation.
- BEST OF 2012: The Doodlebug, a Nebraska train innovation
- Nebraska floods: A forecast, and a sunken opportunity