VIDEO: Bus Driver Keeps His Head As Light Pole Smashes Through Windshield
(Note: Don't click on the videos we're writing about here unless you're prepared to be scared.)
Mao Zhihao is lucky to be alive and his passengers are lucky he reacted quickly.
As this surveillance video shows, Mao was nearly skewered Monday when the bus he was driving in the eastern Chinese province of Zheijang came upon an accident scene where a light pole that had been knocked over.
The pole smashed through the windshield. But Mao was able to duck in time. He was then able to bring the bus to a stop, crawl out from under the pole and help his passengers get to safety.
SkyNews says he's being hailed as a hero. Mao reportedly suffered a ruptured spleen. "I was pinned down by the lamppost and put the bus into gear instinctively," he said from his hospital bed.
We've posted before about scary things flying through windshields. Check this post from April 2011: 'Scariest Car Crash Ever Caught On Video.'
- Drunken driving case raises questions about lenient sentencing
- UNL Students Test a Personal Safety App to Replace Blue Light Poles
- Toughening seatbelt, cell phone, and texting while driving law proposed; parental rights would be prohibited in sex assault pregnancies
- TRAIN TUESDAYS: Where the rail meets the road
- Hiking, Biking, Bird Watching Major Economic Drivers in Nebraska